Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Few Good Beers from Toronto: Tasting Notes

I've had quite a few good beers from Toronto so far in my journey - and am welcome to more suggestions of what to try. Any ideas?

One of my favourites is from the Granite Brewery, near Mount Pleasant and Eglinton. It's called Hoppin Mad, and it's an American IPA (which we've established that I like very much). They also have a nice wheat beer on tap right now called Hazy Days, and it's delicious too. Granite Brewery is also a pub, with a great patio at the back. I haven't done official tasting notes there yet, because I'm usually in a group when I go, and am too embarrassed to take out my notebook.

I was alone when I drank these, so I did take out my notebook:

Duggan's #9 IPA, Duggan's Brewery, Toronto

Very good, very interesting/Not your typical IPA/very dark amber/Aroma of soapy lemon, but it works/Some orange marmalade/Strong but not overwhelming bitterness/Good punch/Some caramel malts/good balanced, smooth drinking IPA/Nothing TOO dramatic, but a lot going on/I find the soapiness (for lack of a better word) delicious! note: It's smaller than a regular beer bottle.

Black Creek Historic Brewery Pale Ale, Toronto

Nice amber colour, nice large head/Nutty flavour with lingering bitterness/Chocolate and caramel malts?/Spicy bitterness?/Not an American Pale Ale - more in the british style? It is decent, think it's better in this colder weather we're having/Tastes darker than it is.

Old Credit Brewing Co. Pale Pilsner, Mississauga (ok, technically not Toronto but close enough)

Was not expecting to like this very much because:
a) It's a pilsner
b) ok, I cheated and read the beeradvocate.com reviews, which weren't very flattering.
But: beeradvocate be damned, this was surprisingly decent and refreshing (in hot weather). Not too fizzy. Bready malts, fruity flavour. Brought back memories of eating apricot jam on wonderbread (which a) I'm not sure I've ever done and b) is the most pretentious thing I've ever written down on paper)/Simple pleasure/Did however, get a little less enjoyable by the end of the bottle.


No comments:

Post a Comment