Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cooking with charcoal: Slowing Down and Paying Attention



After years of wandering the newfangled futurescape of natural gas, I've unhooked and gone back in time. I bought a charcoal BBQ. (Did any of that even make sense: probably not. Did it sound cool in my head: definitely yes.)

This "back to a simpler time" theme has been playing a larger and larger part in my life the past year or two.

First, the Buddhism phase helped me to unplug, and to think in simpler terms. Value what is truly important. Forget the rest. Or at least not get sucked into it.

My cooking phase, where I became a pretty decent home cook, taught me to value quality ingredients, and to eat as naturally and simply as possible.

This craft beer phase I'm going through now (I call them phases but they're all integrated into my life - they never go away) is a similar thing. I want my beer to be made by someone who loves beer. I want it to be made with fresh ingredients. I want to taste the love, and I want to taste the sweat. (not literally, please).


Most importantly to all of these: I learned to enjoy the process. I learned to take it easy, and enjoy life as it passes by, much too quickly.

This brings me to the charcoal BBQ. It has revolutionized my cooking experience. Each meal is an adventure. Each meal is different. The gas machine I had before would be heated up in no time. The food would be flamethrowered in no time. I hardly had to pay attention. BANG! Charred and on the plate in seconds!

With my charcoal BBQ, the smell fills the backyard. Mindfulness is of the essence. You don't pay attention and your heat is down to 250 degrees and your chicken will be ready in six and a half hours. Or your heat is up to 600 degrees and your goose is cooked.

You're forced to slow down and wait. And enjoy the process. And enjoy the beer you're drinking while cooking. And watch the birds in the trees and really hear the crickets in the grass. And you're learning how to be a better cook all the while.

It takes a longer time, but it's worth every minute. It's more fun. It's more peaceful. And, there's absolutely no doubt about it: It tastes much, much, much better. No contest. The smell of charcoal changes everything. The outside is crispier, the inside is softer.

Not sure why I'm drawn to this. Maybe, to refer back to my first post on this blog, it's because I've become a dad. My dad's beer drinking led me to beer, and maybe his old time charcoal grilling led me here-Even though even he has switched over to gas grilling :(

I want to give my daughter the best life possible. And that includes having a chilled out and loving dad. And teaching her how to unplug every once in a while. And pay attention and enjoy the ride, whether it's washing the dishes or riding a roller coaster.

Not let her buy into speed over quality.

Or efficiency over love.

No comments:

Post a Comment