Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Manlove for the Muskoka Brewery, tasting notes for Harvest Ale

I love everything about the Muskoka Brewery. It all started awhile ago...

Pitcure this: Six years ago. A fancy resort in the Muskokas.

A young man, ignorant to the bliss of beer, sits by the dock and want to order a beer. "We have Muskoka or we have this generic pilsner that you've had a million times in your life already," says the man/woman I can't remember.

Well, he thinks to himself, I am ignorant to the bliss of beer, and I AM in Muskoka. Generic pilsner I have had a million times in my life already.

"I'll have a Muskoka please," says the young man.

It was delicious. I don't remember the beer, and I don't remember the taste, but I do remember the rest of the week was spent drinking this delicious brew. (sorry - slipped out of character there, that young man was me. SURPRISE!)

At the time, I didn't much care about beer, so to like one so much was noteworthy.

The name "Muskoka" stayed with me.

Fast forward to this summer. My beer quest was in high gear when I came across Muskoka again. This time, it was their Mad Tom IPA, and our hot and heavy love affair was rekindled.

Muskoka, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

-You are a craft brewery that cares about making good beer with personality, and you take risks.
-You are delicious in my mouth.
-You're local, so you're fresher
-You're available widely, I have access to you here, and I had access to you up in cottage country this summer
-You have a wide and delicious variety of beers, so far I've had your Mad Tom, Craft Lager, Harvest Ale, Cream Ale, and probably more before I started writing these things down.
-You have seasonals that I can find in Toronto! i.e. Harvest Ale (see below).
-It may sound stupid, but I love your packaging and branding. It's not too garish, and not too staid. It's just perfect.

And now, tasting notes for Muskoka Harvest Ale, a seasonal

I came across this beer at the lcbo. Pretty sweet find.
6.4% 750 mL bottle
large head, amber/grassy smell/a little bite, some bitterness/Tastes lingers underground for a little while/lemony,grassy (lemongrassy?) taste/Malt in there when you pay attention, holding it up/A good changeup from Muskoka: You can't throw it every pitch, but it's a great option to have in your arsenal to keep you on your toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment