Friday, September 23, 2011

Speaking of great autumn beer: I found some Dead Guy Ale! Woot!

I've been writing a lot lately about the changing seasons, and about how different beers are now appropriate. Spicy and warming is now a little bit more appropriate to drink, and the more thirst quenching beers are losing a bit of their sheen.

As the days get shorter, so the beers get darker.

(by the way, I'm still intrigued by the Saison style of beer, and am looking for some to be able to drink at home. Ideally it would be craft brewed in Ontario, but I'm open. I know that black oak makes one, which I've tried on tap at the beer bistro and really liked, but I can't find it bottled.)

I recently took a trip to the Summerhill Liquor store, and found a legendary beer I've been reading about for awhile: Rogue Brewery's Dead Guy Ale (from Oregon). I would have been a fool not to buy it.

Turns out, it's a nice spicy beer. Very good, and very appropriate for this time of year. A little pricy though, at over $15 for a six pack...

Tasting Notes: Rogue Dead Guy Ale

VERY large head, slightly murky pale amber, lots of action in the glass. Smell of hops (green apple? grassiness?) Taste: Tang settles nicely on entire tongue. Grassiness with a nice, warrm spiciness. Bitterness lingers a bit. This is very nice. 6.6% alcohol + spiciness give a nice, warming fall feeling to beer. Very well balanced and full of personality. Mellows a bit as it warms up. Flavour nestles in your mouth and stays well after your sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment