Thursday, November 1, 2012

Uh oh. Mad Tom's here - and he's even madder.
















Muskoka Brewery's Twice as Mad Tom IPA has hit lcbo shelves. I've been a bit fan of the original Mad Tom since it first came out, it's one of our very best Ontario IPAs (in my humble opinion), and was one of our very first widely available IPAs. 

And now, with Twice as Mad Tom, Muskoka is once again filling a huge void in the lcbo's inventory: a locally brewed double IPA. 


This is going to make my year of Ontario beer even more enjoyable. Double IPAs (DIPAs) are one of my favourite styles, and I was sweating there for awhile that I'd have to drive out to Black Oak Brewery for their 10 Bitter Years every time I wanted one. Now I just need to drive five minutes to the lcbo for a top notch DIPA. 

This DIPA is much different that 10 Bitter Years though (neither better not worse, just different).

It clocks in at 8.4%, and, while very hoppy, it generally eschews the punch in the face hop attack of many DIPAs for a more layered, flavourful approach-to wonderful effect. This citrus is there, in fine juicy form, and the malts back it up nicely. Don't get me wrong, dude's hoppy. But dude's deep too. Like, Jordan Catalano deep. 


I like it. Try it.


1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to get this Twice as Mad Tom - I've went to a couple of LCBOs in Mississauga to find this, no luck. Georgetown, no luck. Even Peterborough (Well, I called my parents to check...) I can't wait to try this. Mad Tom IPA is one of my all time favourites.

    I'm even jealous of you right now!

    ReplyDelete