Friday, November 16, 2012

Cameron's RPA




















For 3 days, I was dying to write this blog post. Alas, I was sick, and dying, and wasn't in any mood for beer. Or, more precisely, my stomach wasn't in any mood for beer.

Meanwhile, I was taunted by six bottles of Cameron's Rye Pale Ale jingle-jangling in my fridge each time I reached for the Britta to re-hydrate. Mocking me with their yellow label and their glass and their hops and their malts and their yeasts and their spicy rye flavours.

But now I'm better, and tonight I cracked one open, and it was a real treat.

I'm a fan of anything our craft brewers do that's outside the norm, that's filling a void in our scene. Rye Pale Ale is a great beer, and has forced me to look at Cameron's in a new light. Whereas before, I looked at them more as, like, a comfortable cardigan: You knew what you were getting, and it was comfortable. I didn't really think twice about them. Now, I see them as more as, like, a sweet, tight, yellow sweater vest. So tight, in fact, I turn around and stare at them when they walk away, snap my fingers, and say "da-yum."

So, what's a Rye PA (or RPA)? It's an IPA (we've got a lot of those already) with rye in there too. The rye adds an interesting spicy flavour to the mix, and adds to the texture of the beer. So, close your eyes and picture this:

CAMERON'S HOUSE TASTE (You know it from their cream ale and their auburn ale, etc) + CITRUSY IPA + SPICY RYE = Cameron's RPA

For some better tasting notes, from people who are better at this sort of thing than I am, check out the reviews on beeradvocate.com.

Cameron's RPA, which is 6.6% ABV, is available at the brewery, for now, and at your finer beer bars.

It's a seasonal beer, but if you like it, encourage them to make it year round, and let's hope they listen. It's a great addition to the Ontario beer scene.

Now go away before anybody sees me drinking this, I can probably milk this man cold for another day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment