Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Liquid Smoke: The sweet smelltaste of Rauchbier

There's a certain thrill to tasting something completely different. And when that something different happens to hit just the right spot at just the right time, it can be heaven.

This happened to me recently when I tried my first Rauchbier. Rauchbier is a "smoke" beer, as in, they smoke the malt (or barley, more likely) before getting her going.

This gives the beer a wonderful smoky taste, like smoked gouda (without the cheesiness). Without the smoke, it would be a decent German dark beer. The smoke gives it another layer, and brings the beer up to another unique level.

I'm not saying it's the best beer ever made, or an everyday beer, but it was the perfect beer as I sat outside, watching the leaves turn on a cold and wet October evening. I could smell fireplaces nearby, and I could smell my charcoal BBQ (which I vaunted in a previous post), and I could hear the embers snapping. And I could taste those smells and sounds embodied in a beer.

It was a perfect match. And that's when beer becomes special - when it brings you somewhere else, either in time or in space. Or, even better, when it places you right where you are.

Tasting Notes: Aecht Ochlenferla Rauchbier Marzen, a Schlenkula Smokebeer, Germany, 5.1%

Dark brown, large head. Smell of smoke, like smoked gouda, smell of charcoal bbq, autumn. This is fall BBQ beer! taste: small bite. pretty thick mouthfeel. heavy smoky taste, dry finish. very interesting. not particularly complex, pretty much a heavy smoke taste with a few other subdued flavours. could drink a lot of this this time of year. would love a big stein of this to chat the night away all bundled up in the backyard. surprisingly refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment