Monday, October 29, 2012

Holy Smoke: Another void filled in Ontario beer



Things are happening quickly in Ontario beer. Things are accelerating. Each month--each week even--my year-of-Ontario-beer challenge is turning from "I have to drink Ontario beer for a whole year??" into "I get to drink Ontario beer for a whole year!!"

There's much on the horizon that I'm interested in, much happening this week even, but that's for a different post. 

This post is meant to tout another hole filled in our scene: Church-Key's Holy Smoke has hit the lcbo. Until now, we've been very underserved in the Scotch Ale department (A dark, sweet ale) AND in the Smoke beer department (think charcoal BBQ.... mmmm.....). Holy Smoke is a sort of hybrid of the two-A scotch ale using peat smoked malts.

I know a lot of people who don't like smoke beer, but I like it a lot. Be warned, though: this 6.2% ale is NOT a session beer. There's a lot going on and it can tire out the palate, so I recommend splitting the 650 ml bottle with a friend. Unless you're the kind of person who can pound back scotch all night long, then be my guest. 

Count this ridiculously handsome beer blogger happy to see this addition at the lcbo. Give it a chance.

1 comment: